Arguably one of the best parts about summer is the choice of fresh produce. Especially strawberries. I only wish that I had been up to picking them myself this year and going all out with strawberry recipes (jam, cakes, pies, generally yummy things...) but since squatting up and down at nine months pregnant isn't exactly ideal, I settled for a lovely box of fresh strawberries from a local Amish stand.
And what goes better with strawberries than shortcake? Really, tell me one thing that's better with strawberries. I know I can't think of anything better. Rather than making a traditional shortcake (you know, like the recipe on the side of a Bisquick box) I opted for shortcake muffins, thinking that the single serving size might just stop me from eating more than I should (but let's get real, it probably won't stop me). But at least they look cute!!
Recipe for: Shortcake Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup milk
whipped cream, strawberries, and/or milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease or line 12 muffin tins.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl cream together sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Add dry ingredients to wet alternately with the milk.
4. Pour batter into greased or lined muffin tins, filling about halfway to two thirds full. bake at 350° for 15 - 20 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. While the muffins bake you can wash and slice the strawberries.
5. Serve warm, topped with strawberries and whipped cream. My favorite way to eat shortcake is warm with vanilla soy milk and strawberries.
What is your favorite strawberry-themed recipe? Another delicious strawberry recipe is the
that Sweet Lavender Bake Shoppe shared on my blog last month.
Have you made this recipe or another recipe from Little City Adventures? Share a shot of your take on the dish on Instagram and use the hashtag #littlecitykitchen