Recipe // Vegan Apple Cinnamon Streusel Bread
I have about five or so more months of breastfeeding left which means five more months of avoiding dairy and soy to the best of my ability. I am not too strict about cutting out things that are baked with soy because it only seems to bother William when I drink straight soy milk. But the no dairy thing is really hard for me. I cheat a lot and then suffer the consequences of a fussy and spit up-y baby. But recently I've found some dairy and soy free foods in the organic section of my grocery store. Yummy treats like chocolate almond milk pudding, dark chocolate almond milk, Greek style coconut milk yogurt, and coconut milk ice "cream." I'm a little upset with myself for not finding these things when William was first born. But don't worry, I shall enjoy them for the next five-ish months.
Since I am avoiding dairy, I am always looking for and making delicious dairy free recipes. Enter Vegan Apple Cinnamon Streusel Bread. This moist, sweet, and spicey bread is so good, you will have no idea that there is no milk, butter, or eggs. The streusel is even like one you would make with butter! I used Earth Balance as my butter substitute but if you are vegan and don't like to use food substitutes, you could also use coconut oil. If you use coconut oil it won't be as thick as with Earth Balance. But either way, it's seriously so good, you could trick people into thinking that you actually used butter.
The one thing that I would do differently next time that I make it, is chop up the apples much much smaller. Maybe even put them in the food processor for one or two pulses, just so that there are apple pieces in each and every bite. But either way, it's still yums.
Vegan Apple Cinnamon Streusel Bread
1 lg Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
4 Tbsp vegan butter (
I used Earth Balance)
or coconut oil, cold and chopped
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup almond milk
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9x5" loaf pan with coconut oil or vegan cooking spray and line some of the pan with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the baked loaves.
2. In a medium bowl, toss together ingredients for apples and set aside until ready to use.
3. In another medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients for streusel. Chop up the cold vegan butter into small cubes and add to dry mixture. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles large crumbs. Set aside until ready to use.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together applesauce and sugars. Add in almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla. On top of the wet ingredients pile on the dry ingredients and mix until
combined. Using a spatula, fold in apple mixture.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and evenly spread the batter across the pan being sure to get the batter into the corners. Evenly spread the streusel mixture over top of the batter. Bake for 45-50 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the streusel is golden brown. Let pan cool for five minutes then carefully lift the loaf out, using the parchment paper, and move to a wire cooling rack. Do not let the bread sit in the pan too long or the bottom will become wet and mushy. Once cool, slice into thick slices.